Thursday, November 03, 2005

Wedding Bells

Today, all by myself, I successfully made turkish coffee at my office. According to my office mate N., it was "perfect". To make turkish coffee normally requires boiling over a stove, but we have a turkish coffee equivalent of a percolator.

How to make turkish coffee:

Step One - boil water

Step Two - measure very generous heaping spoonfuls of coffee grounds into second boiling pot, use at least one spoonful per cup (and throw in one extra for good luck)

Step Three - measure the desired cupfuls of boiling water into the "percolator" pot

Step Four - boil water in percolator with grounds and watch as the boiling creates a soft foamy head on the coffee

Step Five - serve, often with a teaspoon of sugar (or two if you're making it for me) and a piece of turkish delight if you're lucky

Step Six - enjoy coffee and the accolades of co-workers that this time you got it right

If you can, get someone to read your future in your coffee grounds. It's sort of like having your tea leaves read.

According to my office mates, there is a Serbian saying that once a woman can make a good pot of coffee she is ready to get married..... but I'm pretty sure that only applied to Serbian women.

2 Comments:

At 12:45 AM, Anonymous Makilica said...

Well, I think it's actually teasing, that a woman can marry if she can make a good turkish coffee. :) Nice blog BTW. :)

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger coturnix said...

Hey, I am in the States and I fix my coffee the RIGHT way - in a dzezva!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home